Dear Tecno fans, the much awaited TECNO Phantom 6 Plus Nougat update has finally arrived and it’s good to know that Tecno promised her fans to release the update on August 4 and it started rolling out on the said date. Here I will show how you can perform the upgrade on your device. Many Tecno fans and loyal customers have been crying foul that the brand doesn’t listen to their demand for OS upgrade. To be honest for a brand that wants to be a Global player, it’s vital the brand doesn’t joke with her customers. Customers are king and they can switch their allegiance any time they feel abandoned. The Camon C8 was the first Tecno device to be upgraded from one Android version to another. Though the upgrade wasn’t via OTA – over the Air.
Tecno Phantom 6 Plus Nougat Update-All what You Need to Know
Tecno phantom 6 Plus Nougat update is via OTA and will be the first Tecno device to receive an over-the-Air upgrade from one Android device to another. Also, the device is a flagship device which should be given attention. Tecno Phantom 6 Plus was loaded out of the box with Android 6.0 Marshmallow, it has the MediaTek Helio X20 Deca-core processor paired with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. It is no doubt a powerful device and Tecno cannot afford to abandon the device. So let’s go straight to how you can upgrade the phone from Android 6.0 Marshmallow to 7.1.1 Nougat.
How to perform the Tecno Phantom 6 Plus Nougat Update
Like I said, this is the first Tecno device to receive an over-the-Air update from one Android version to another. Before you start to upgrade, it’s important you know what improvements this update has over the Marshmallow and also the features that will be lost once you upgrade to Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
Added Features on the Tecno Phantom 6 Plus Nougat update
- Upgraded from Android Lollipop to Android Nougat N
- Added the Hi Theme
- Added the snapshot function in fingerprint
- Added the OneKeyTransfer APK
- Added the Split screen function
- Added watermark feature in Camera
- Optimized stability and performance
- Upgraded to HIOS 2.2
What you will lose once you upgrade
- Camcard Apk was deleted
- Cam scanner was deleted
- Boom Maxx Apk was deleted
- Music exclusive page was deleted
- Camera exclusive page is gone
- Iris scanner is gone
- The dark-gold background colour replaced with white background
Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of this Phantom 6 Plus Nougat update, it is left to you if you still want to perform the upgrade or not. So get started, these are the procedures you must follow. If you have rooted your Tecno Phantom 6 Plus before, you will have to unroot it. You can check online how to do this using Tecno Phantom 6 Plus stock ROM using SP Flash tool
- Ensure you Charge the battery above 50% to avoid an interruption
- If you use custom recovery, go back to stock recovery
- Write down your Build number in case you will like to revert to Marshmallow
- If you haven’t done any kinds of techy stuff on your phone, let’s go to how you can perform this upgrade.
- Go to setting>About Phone>System update
- Search for the Nougat update in case you haven’t seen the notification.
- Take note that you must have performed all previous incremental updates before this Nougat update. Some people are saying that they don’t have the Nougat update but normal stability update if you are in this category, you have to perform such update first before this Nougat update.
- Update size is around 1.7GB, it’s advisable you have a minimum of 3GB data before embarking on the upgrade. You can use WiFi or a very strong internet connection.
- Make sure you have at least 6GB free memory space on your smartphone.
- Start the Download process, it may take a while to finish the download. It took around 48 hours for me to finish the whole download because the server houses the update is very slow.
- After you’ve finished downloading the files update it will automatically unzip,
- You will be notified if you want to perform the update, click install
- Take a bottle of soft drink and wait while your phone is upgrading to Android 7.1.1 Nougat.
- Once the update is successful, you can start rocking the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat on your phone
2nd Method To update your Phantom 6 Plus via SD card To Android Nougat
This second method is for those having problem downloading the update because of the slow server. Credit goes to Team Hovatek, they were able to get the Tecno A9-H971A-N1-170725V72 update.zip which is more flexible to download. Follow the procedure below to update your Phantom 6 Plus via the sdcard option.
- Firstly Download the Tecno Phantom 6 Plus (A9-H971A-N1-170725V72) Nougat Tcard update.zip as provided by team Hovatek
- You will need to unzip the downloaded update.Zip
- Copy the update.zip to your Phantom 6 Plus’s SD card or Phone storage
- Boot the device into stock recovery using Volume up + Power button
- Then tap Apply update from SD card
- Scroll to the location of the Tcard update.zip and select it
- You have to wait while the update.zip is being installed and this process should never be interrupted
- Finally, reboot the phone once the installation is complete and enjoy your phone.
Does the Tecno Phantom 6 Plus Nougat update has bugs? I will say yes and No because the only issue I have on mine for now is that the display is not as sharp as before. It is kind of blurry and red is redder. If you notice this on your own, follow the picture below, to adjust the contrast and saturation. Go to settings>Display>Miravision>select user Mode to adjust the saturation and the contrast. I don’t really like the HiOS Launcher, so I installed Google Pixel Launcher which is more revamped and intuitive. Picture below.