Here is How You can Restore Deleted SMS Messages on your Phone
SMS is one of the vital functions of a mobile device. From sending to receiving important information to keeping track of vital personal records, SMS’s are perhaps the biggest information keeper in a mobile phone.
However, it could be painful if you mistakenly delete a message or more from your mobile phone, especially when it contains vital information.
It is even more troubling since your Android phone uses TRIM on the internal storage which overwrites data once you delete them.
But there is a way to go around such and restore SMS messages on your phone if you mistakenly deleted them.
To recover your messages when you lose them, you must have initially backed them up before you read on as I show you how to do that in this interesting and easy-to-follow article.
How to back up your SMS messages
Download SMS Backup And Restore App
This mobile phone application was created by Carbonite and can be readily downloaded from the Google play store and also the Add-on.
One thing you ought to know is that the ‘Add-on for SMS Backup & Restore’ app does not appear on the list of apps on your phone. The app is only used by the SMS Backup & Restore app on your device.
When you have downloaded these apps, do this:
- To open the app, click on it
- Then, click on ‘Backup’
- Select the default file path or pick a custom folder if you intend to save your backup to SD card or a preferred folder in your mobile device/phone
- Click on the checkbox next to the text message you want to backup, you can decide to only select the important ones or select all
- Click on ‘local backup only’ or ‘local backup and Upload’. The latter pops up alternatives for you to upload to Dropbox, email or even google drive
Ensure you have installed the Add-on for SMS Backup & Restore app In order to upload your backup your SMS
- Click on OK after selecting your preferred alternative
- With this, your message(s) will automatically backup to your desired designation
NB: You will receive a warning that you risk losing your backup if you misplace or damage your device when you used the ‘Local backup only’ option rather than the ‘Local backup and upload.’
How to restore Deleted SMS messages
Having done the above, you can, therefore, restore deleted SMS messages with ease. This can be done on a new mobile phone or even on the same device that you lost your messages.
Install the ‘SMS backup & restore’ app before following these under listed steps to restore deleted SMS messages.
- Open the app and click ‘Restore’
- Click on the backup of the checkbox you want to restore.
- Click on ‘Restore’.
- Click ‘OK’ that would send a message asking you to set the app as the default messaging app.
- Accept by clicking ‘yes’ –this allows the app start the restoring process. You can close the app when the process ends.
PS: You can go to ‘Setting>> Apps>> Reset App preferences if you don’t want the SMS Backup & Restore app to be your default messaging app.
So, as you can see from our smooth ride, backing up your SMS is not hard. Now, you can restore SMS messages with ease and drown the thoughts of losing them easily, especially when you’ve backed-up your messages to Cloud.
Simply use the exact process and you can restore SMS messages to any Android device as the data is stored in XML.