In this post, we will be discussing how to root Huawei P20 Pro and install TWRP Custom Recovery. Owners of the latest P-series flagship phone, P20 Pro, from Huawei can root their Huawei P20 Pro device and install custom ROM on it. But before we walk down that road, there are things you should do before rooting your Huawei P20 Pro.
Requirements to Rooting Huawei P20 Pro
Before we proceed any further, make sure you do all the things below.
• Backup all your important data.
• The battery level should be above 75%.
• Download ADB and Fastboot Setup here
• Download TWRP Recovery Image File Here
• Download SuperSu.ZIP Here
• Once you have downloaded the following files above on your PC.
• Launch the setup file for ADB and Fastboot from your Windows PC/Laptop.
• You will see the installation instructions to install it.
• Go to the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot.
• Press “Shift + Right Click” and click the option of ‘Open Command Window Here’.
Then we move forward to unlocking the bootloader of your Huawei P20 Pro through the steps below.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Huawei P20 Pro
If you want ADB to detect your device; you must have USB Debugging enabled on it. To enable USB Debugging, simply follow the steps below.
• Go to the ‘About’ page of your device and click on the ‘Build Number‘ a few times.
• Go back to ‘Settings’ you will get an option of ‘Developer Options’. Click on it and activate the option of ‘USB Debugging.’
• Go ahead and connect your Huawei P20 Pro device to your PC and in the Command Prompt which you opened in the ADB Folder.
• Type ‘adb devices’ to check out your device.
• You can now go ahead and unlock the bootloader by putting the device into ‘Fastboot’ mode.
• To do this, simply switch off your device and press Power and Volume Down button of your device for 10 seconds. When you release it, your phone will automatically enter fastboot mode.
• Type “fastboot devices” and your device will be visible now.
Also, enter “fastboot OEM unlock” to unlock the bootloader of your Huawei P20 Pro.
How to Install Custom Recovery TWRP on Huawei P20 Pro
• Simply cut and paste the TWRP file which you downloaded into the ADB and Fastboot folder.
• Rename the file to ‘recovery.img’.
• Type “adb reboot bootloader” to reboot your device in bootloader mode.
• Also type “fastboot flash recovery .img” to successfully install TWRP recovery on your Huawei P20 Pro.
How to Root Huawei P20 Pro using Super SU
Rooting the device now should be pretty easy after going through the steps above. Simply transfer the SuperSu.ZIP file to the internal memory of your device. Then reboot your Huawei P20 Pro in recovery mode, by pressing Volume Up + Power Button after switching off your device.
• Click on ‘Install’ and find the SuperSu.ZIP file.
• Select the file and swipe to give your permission for the installation.
Your device is rooted, you can also download the ‘Root Checker‘ application to confirm.
Install Custom Rom on Huawei P20 Pro
This is the final step, reboot the device and follow the steps below.
• Make sure you’re on the TWRP menu.
• Click on ‘Wipe‘ and select ‘Swipe to Factory Reset‘.
• Go to the ‘Install‘ option and select the custom ROM from its location and do ‘Swipe to confirm flash’.
• There will be a pop up of ‘Wipe cache/dalvik‘ which will pop up in front of you. Hit ‘Swipe to Wipe.’
That’s it you are done. Just go back to the TWRP menu and select the option of Reboot.
This is how to root Huawei P20 Pro and install TWRP Custom Recovery. Did it work for you, let us know below.