How to use the New Live Listen Feature on AirPods
In Apple’s iOS 12-powered smartphones, you can use the “Live Listen” feature with their AirPods. Developed by the US-based company and launched in 2014, it lets iPhone users with hearing aids (such as AirPods) pick up what people say in a noisy place like a crowded restaurant, walkway or lecture hall.
In this post, you will learn how to use the Live Listen feature on AirPods. To use the feature, a compatible hearing aid has to be paired with your mobile phone, and you could switch Live Listen on and off, control volume, and also designate it as your preferred Accessibility Shortcut.
When it is enabled in the Settings of your iPhone, you will be able to make use of your iPhone as a directional mic effectively. For instance, if you go shopping with your phone in a big mall with a throng of other customers, it might be difficult hearing the voice of whoever is talking to you. By turning the Live Listen feature on, that voice will be routed to your AirPods and you will be able to pick up what they said.
How to use the Live Listen Feature on AirPods
- Start by opening the Settings application on the iPhone
- The next step is, heading to the Control Center
- You should then hit on the “Customize Control Center” option and the ‘+’ icon that is beside “Hearing”
- This step will place the “Hearing” toggle in the Control Center for controlling the feature
- You should now go back to the Control Center screen, where you will see an ear-shaped icon
- You can now put the AirPods on
- Immediately you hear the chime, this shows the AirPods have been connected to your iPhone
- You should hit the Hearing toggle on your Control Center screen
- This will bring up your AirPods with a label that lets you know if the Live Listen feature is on or off
- If it is off, you can tap on the label to put in on
- At this stage, you will see a pop-up on your screen, which displays the volume of the microphone as well as the loudness levels
Having taken these steps above, you will be able to use the Live Listen feature with your AirPods on your iPhone.