MediaTek Helio M70 with 5G Modem Announced — Key Features You Need to Know
Today at the ongoing Computex 2019 in Taipei, Taiwan, global brand MediaTek launched its cutting-edge 5G chipset — Melio M70 — as it promised earlier in the month. Showing its full 5G readiness, it is a multi-mode, 7nm 5G system-on-chip (SoC), built to power the first set of high-end 5G-enabled mobile phones.
Featuring the MediaTek Helio M70 5G inbuilt modem, the integrated 5G chipset comes with ground-breaking technology packed into a compact design. It offers Arm’s newest Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPU, as well as the most advanced AI processing unit of the chipmaker, in a bid to cater to the power and performance demands of the upcoming 5G to produce uber-fast connectivity, in addition to unrivalled user experiences.
The 5G chipset, multi-mode, is for both 5G standalone (SA) networks and non-standalone (NSA) sub-6GHz ones. It will provide support for a range of connectivity, from 2G to 4G, in order to act as a bridge to existing network access as 5G networks get released, globally.
Speaking about the launch, Joe Chen, President of MediaTek, said: “Everything about this chip is designed for the first wave of flagship 5G devices. The leading-edge technology in this chipset makes it the most powerful 5G SoC announced to date and puts MediaTek at the forefront of 5G SoC design. MediaTek will power rollouts of 5G premium level devices.”
This new MediaTek 5G-enabled chipset is integrated with its Helio M70 5G modem, unveiled in December 2018, to bring an in-depth solution for ultra-fast 5G in a power-efficient offering to smartphone companies. The single 5G chip design of MediaTek is head and shoulders above two chips solutions, particularly with respect to the ability to deliver power-efficient performance.
“The new chipset,” MediaTek writes, “will be ready for lead customer samples in Q3 of 2019 and be in commercial devices by Q1 of 2020.” In the coming months, the company promised that complete specs of the MediaTek 5G SoC will be released.
Features of MediaTek Helio M70 Chip
Here are some features and technology that the MediaTek integrated 5G SoC for sub-6GHz will offer:
- Helio M70 5G modem: The maker built the Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the newly launched SoC.
- 4.7 gigabits per second (Gb/s) download speeds & 2.5 Gb/s upload speeds
- Smart power savings as well as extensive power management
- Multi-mode support, including 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G, along with dynamic power sharing to deliver the fastest connectivity
- Novel AI architecture: The SoC comes with an all-new AI processing unit (APU). It offers support for more advanced Artificial Intelligence applications, which include imaging-related functions such as de-blur, allowing you to produce catchy shots even at scenarios when subjects are moving fast.
- The most advanced CPU technology: The latest release is a performance powerhouse coming with only the newly unveiled Arm Cortex-A77 CPU.
- Ground-breaking 7nm FinFET: MediaTek claims it is the “World’s first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.”
- Latest GPU: A pristine Arm Mali-G77 GPU with the capability of seamless extreme streaming, enabling gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
- Robust Multimedia and Imaging performance: It provides support for 4K video encode/decode at 60 frames per second (fps) as well as super-high resolution camera (80 megapixels).
- Speedy throughput: It delivers a peak throughput of 4.7Gps download (for sub-6 gigahertz) as well as New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. It comes with support for non-standalone (NSA) as well as standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
Chen maintained that “The industry, OEMs and consumers have high expectations for 5G. We are confident devices powered by MediaTek’s 5G chipset, with its impressive architecture, leading imaging features, powerful AI and ultra-fast 5G speeds, will deliver incredible experiences.”
The ultimate winners in the foray of MediaTek into the high-end 5G-enabled chipset market are phone consumers since the company is playing a key role in driving the design of more 5G smartphones so that more people can enjoy seamless access to great technology.
The integrated Helio M70 modem of this 5G SoC is armed with support for LTE and 5G dual connectivity (EN-DC), coupled with capability for dynamic power sharing, in addition to multi-mode support for all generations of cellular connectivity, ranging from 2G to 5G. Also, it is coming with dynamic bandwidth switching technology, which can allocate 5G bandwidth that is needed for specific applications for improving power efficiency of modems by 50% and extending battery life.
MediaTek’s Current 5G Collaborations
The company is already in partnership with top cellular operators, OEMs, and suppliers to ascertain the market readiness of its 5G technologies for use in smartphones as well as applications in smart cars and smart homes.
Furthermore, MediaTek is working together with suppliers of 5G components and global cellular operators around radio-frequency (RF) technology with a view to engendering a comprehensive, standards-based as well as optimized 5G solution to the market without delay. Some corporations that are collaborating with MediaTek on RF tech are Vivo, Oppo, along with tier-1 RF suppliers, including Qorvo, Skyworks, and muRata, who are developing the front-end module capable of accommodating 5G and still ensuring the device retains its thin and stylish design.
This new MediaTek 5G SoC is built for worldwide Sub-6GHz 5G networks, which are being launched in Asia, North America as well as Europe.