The backward compatibility saga around the most popular console in the exciting virtual world of video games is fast becoming a major concern to every hardcore gamer out, who are always on the lookout for novel ways to take full advantage of their vast library of games. This all-important feature allows newer consoles versions to play games from the previous version of console either via disk or cartridge.
However, the answer to the question whether you can play PS3 games on PS4 Console using a disc or just by downloading the games from the official PlayStation Network Store is a big NO — at least not like its rival Xbox One which supports slotting disc in the console. The complication surrounding PlayStation 4 or PS4 basically arises from a lot of differences in its design, in its architecture relative to the earlier version of the PS3 Console.
Frequent release of software updates by researchers and technologist has always contributed to the gap bridging of other technological loophole or glitch. As a result, you can now enjoy your PS3 and PS2 games on Sony’s own “PlayStation Now” service, which allow you to stream and download older titles to work on PS4 console.
Enjoy PS2 and PS3 Games Using PlayStation Now
PlayStation Now is a video game streaming service that gives you access to play PS3 games on PS4 via a Wi-Fi connection by streaming their titles. Basically, it requires functional and relatively high-speed internet connectivity to source all the titles from the online cloud, where they are being stored. More so, to enjoy all the titles of the PS3 games you just need to download PlayStation Now App and set it up for use by following the below steps.
Steps to Setup PlayStation Now
- Visit the official website of PlayStation Store and set up a verified account with Sony Entertainment Network.
- Check to ensure that your internet connection is at its highest speed, preferably 5Mbps or more. If otherwise, contact your ISP.
- Get relevant input device in place like a wireless controller: Dual Shock 3 or 4.
- Proceed to switch on your PlayStation and click on “Network”.
- Go to “Setup Internet Connection” and select your internet connection.
- Follow the ensuing on-screen instructions so you can complete the process.
Connecting PlayStation Now
These are the steps to take to do that:
- Navigate to the main menu of your PS4 and launch PlayStation Now.
- Go to the “PS Now Subscription” to download the app to your PS4 console.
- Choose your preferred subscription package from the various option presented.
- You will now have access to Content Launcher once the purchase process is completed.
- Finally, launch PlayStation Now by clicking the Content Launcher.
PlayStation Now Subscription Cost
PlayStation Now offers free trial period when you download the app while subscription packages subsequently start to take effect upon the end of the trial. The monthly subscription costs $19.99; three months subscription goes for $49.99; and a yearly subscription costs $99.99. You can also opt for rental packages which vary in cost depending on the title and rental period.
PS3 games You Can play
You can access over 100 high-profile games when you sign into PlayStation Now. The following are some of the PS3 games you can play.
- Dead Island, Dead Island Riptide
- Lost Planet 2
- Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition
- NBA 2K14
- The Lego Movie Videogame
- The Last of Us
- Batman: Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Arkham Origins
- BioShock, BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite
- Borderlands, Borderlands 2
- God of War Ascension