Facebook Dating has been around for quite some time now, available in some countries and slowly making its ways to others.
Here, we will be taking a look at what Facebook dating is all about, how you can use it to find love
What is Facebook Dating and how does it work?
You can think of Facebook dating like a totally different extension of Facebook itself where you get to meet new people you actually have things in common with.
People you have similar interests with, participate in similar events and are in the same groups with. It is different from other dating apps out there as it is wholly connected with Facebook itself.
Speaking about Facebook, the Facebook dating is totally unconnected to Facebook and you’ll need to set up your Facebook dating profile separately by setting up things like your likes, interests and more.
You’ll also not get matched with your Facebook or Instagram friends, however, you can add your Facebook or Instagram friends to what Facebook dating is calling “Secret Crush List”.
Secret Crush List: Facebook Dating Main Feature
The secret crush list lets you know when you’re interested in someone. Also, those that are interested in you as you only get notified when you add someone to your list and the person also adds you to his/her list.
If you add someone to your secret crush list, the person won’t get notified until he/she adds you to their own.
Subsequently, if someone else adds you to his/her secret crush list, you won’t be notified until you do the same.
This, in my opinion, makes the secret crush list one of my favourite feature of Facebook dating.
Now, unlike the other dating platforms that require a connection from both sides to kick things off, Facebook dating doesn’t.
You can simply leave a like or comment on one of their photos to show interest in someone. if the person on the other end feels like it, he/she can get things going by starting a conversation.
What to know before you can use Facebook Dating
Now we know about Facebook dating, let’s get right down to how to make use of it.
- First things first, the dating platform is only available if you’re 18years of age and above.
- Also, you’ll need to be running the latest version of the Facebook app
- You have to live in a country where Facebook dating is currently available in.
- Once all the aforementioned prerequisite have been checked, you should see the Facebook dating tab in your Facebook app main menu.
Where can I download the Facebook Dating App?
There is no Facebook dating app – at least not yet. You can only access the Facebook dating platform through the Facebook app on Mobile.
How To Use Facebook Dating
Getting started on Facebook dating is pretty simple.
Just follow the steps below.
- Launch your Facebook App. (Make sure you’re running the latest version of the app)
- You should see a tab inviting you to try out Facebook’s new dating platform
- Click on it and set up your profile which shouldn’t take long. Details needed to set up your profile includes your likes, interests, hobbies and photos among others.
- You’ll also get to write briefly what you think a perfect day/date looks like or what you would typically do a date. Like go to the movies, go hiking, etc
- Once you’re done setting up your profile, that’s pretty much it. It will start showing your potential matches based on your likes and interests.
- You will also need to turn on your location services so Facebook can actually verify that you are where you say you are. It can match you with people nearby, within 100 miles of your location preferably. It also needs the location services to know where you visit or travel to often.
- You can also access Facebook dating from the bottom right corner of the Facebook app after setting up your profile.
I can’t see the Facebook dating banner/tab?
If you can’t see the Facebook banner or tab on your Facebook app then there can only be two reasons for that.
- You are either below the age of 18years or it isn’t available for your country yet.
For now, it is only available for the following countries: Colombia, Thailand, Canada, Argentina, the Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Guyana, Suriname and Mexico.
It is also coming to the US later this year and making its way to Europe sometime in 2020. If you are above 18years of age and in the aforementioned countries, then you should be able to use Facebook dating.
How to delete your Facebook dating profile
You can delete your Facebook dating profile whenever you want.
It also won’t affect your Facebook account when you do. All you have to do is navigate to your dating settings and select “delete account” under dating account.
You can add up to nine photos to your Facebook dating profile which can be uploaded directly, imported from Facebook or Instagram.
That’s pretty much all there is to know about the Facebook dating platform. Just in case you were thinking of scam on the dating platform like this and what Facebook is doing to prevent that from happening.
Just know that the messaging in Facebook dating is purely text-based. So no pictures, links or anything else can be sent through the Facebook dating messaging.
Also, messages sent on facebook dating are different and kept separately from the one sent of Facebook.