Are you looking for ways on how to fix Messenger not working error? Do you have Facebook Messenger on your phone but can’t get it to work? Don’t panic yet, we’ll be showing different fixes that should help you out. Messenger started as an inbuilt feature on the Facebook app before becoming a standalone app.
And like every other application out there, it is bound to have issues here and there. One of the most popular issues of the Messenger app is the “not working” error. So if you’re using the app and currently battling with such an error, this post will provide you with steps and guidelines to get it solved.
Ways to Fix Facebook Messenger not Working Error
Restart your Smartphone
In most cases, a simple restart of your smartphone can do the trick. This is a trusted and proven remedy for many problems on a smartphone. When you restart a smartphone, its memory will reset and it can fix some problems along with it like the Messenger not working error. It’s just like when you sleep and your brain resets and feel fresh. Anyways, you can restart your smartphone by long-pressing (press & hold) the power key and choose the “restart” or “reboot” option.
Fix Messenger not working error by Force Stopping your Messenger App
If after restarting your smartphone, you still get the error message, then try force-stopping the Messenger app. Follow the guidelines below, if you don’t know how to go about it.
• On your phone, open the “Settings” app and click on “Apps & notifications”.
• Select “Messenger” from the list of apps on your phone.
• Then click on “Force Stop” to exit the app.
• Once that is done, go to your app drawer and open the Messenger app to see if the error has been fixed.
Fix Messenger not working error by Clearing Data & Cache for Messenger
Another way you can try if you’re looking for how to fix Messenger not working error is to clear data & cache of the Messenger app. It could be that you’re getting the error message cause the cache file has been corrupted or getting out of hand. If that’s the case, you can clear the Messenger app data & cache by;
• Launch your phone’s “Settings” and open the “Apps & notifications”.
• Then find the Messenger from the list of apps on your phone and click it.
• Click on “Clear Data and Cache” to wipe away the stored data and cache.
• After that, restart the Messenger to see if the error has been fixed.
Enable Background Data for Messenger
Even though restricting background data for apps is a means of cutting down mobile data usage, it could be the reason why you’re getting the error message for Messenger. In case you disabled background data for Messenger, you need to go and enable it back. If it was done unknowingly or done by someone without your consent, you can enable it by;
• Open the Settings app on your phone, click on Apps & Notifications.
• Click on “Manage apps” to view the apps on your phone.
• Locate and open the Messenger from the app list.
• Then tap on “Mobile data & Wi-Fi”
• Turn on the “Background data”. If it’s on, then don’t off it.
• Also, you can enable “Unrestricted Data Usage” if you want the Messenger app to be active when the “Data Saver” is on.
Update your Phone’s Software
Check if your phone received a new software update from the manufacturer. If it did, then you need to update to the new and latest software. The software can fix the bug causing the Messenger not working error. Aside from that, updating the software helps strengthens the security and improves the performance of your phone. You can check if your phone has a new software update by going to Settings >> System >> System Update.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Messenger App
Our last resort on how to fix Messenger not working error is to uninstall and reinstall the application. Starting afresh can help deal away the bug or glitch causing the not working error.
So if the above methods end up not working, then you should consider uninstalling the Messenger app. Messenger keeps your data for you, so you don’t have to worry about losing it. Once you reinstall and sign in to your account, everything should be back to normal.