The 2019 Google’s smartphone is here -the Pixel 4. This time around, it brings just one sibling, which is the senior – the Pixel 4 XL. Both smartphones are the true definition of a sibling, sharing almost every specs and feature together.
The Pixel 4 is the successor of last year’s Pixel 3 with the main highlight centred around computational photography and the 90Hz refresh rate
This is the Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL specs and price review.
Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL Key Specs
- 5.7″ (Pixel 4) & 6.3″ (Pixel 4 XL) OLED displays
- Android 10
- Snapdragon 855 SoC
- 6GB RAM
- 64GB, 128GB storage options
- Dual (12MP+16MP) rear camera
- Dual (8MP + 3D TOF) front camera
- Face ID
- 2,700 mAh (Pixel 4), 3,700 mAh (Pixel 4 XL)
- 18W fast & Qi-wireless charging
Both Pixel phones feature a rather different design compared to their predecessor. They feature a metal frame on all four sides with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 at the front and back.
The back has a matte finish apart from the camera module which is painted black. The Pixel phones come in Just Black, Clearly White and Oh So Orange body colour options. The “Oh So Orange” colour is a limited edition.
Google likes to keep things simple, so there is no sort of notch on both device. We have a small bezel at the top which features the dual selfie camera, earpiece and other sensors. The bottom chin is very thin and almost non-existent. There is an IP68 water and dust resistant rating for both phones. Shockingly, there is no fingerprint scanner. You’ll have to make do with the Face ID for biometric security.
Pixel 4 is the ‘more’ compact device amongst the two. It comes with a small 5.7-inch display size with HD+ resolution. While the Pixel 4 XL features a bigger 6.3-inch display with QHD+ resolution. Both displays feature 19:9 aspect ratio, DCI-P3, HDR10+, Always-on display and 90Hz refresh rate.
Hardware and Software
The hardware and software are the same on both Pixel phones. A Snapdragon 855 SoC paired with 6GB RAM and storage of either 64GB or 128GB. No microSD slot and no 256GB internal storage option. Well done Google, it’s like you don’t care about large files on the phone. Did they not realize this is a flagship device? Oh well then.
Running on the Pixel 4 and 4 XL is the pure Android 10 with no customisation whatsoever. Google Assistant on the Android 10 is now smarter. For example, if you say “Hey Google, show me Justin Bieber on Instagram”, the assistant will open your Instagram app and take you straight to Bieber’s IG page. A lot of other Google features has been improved on this new operating system.
The Pixel 4 series becomes the first Google smartphones with more than one rear camera. Both devices feature a 12MP main and 16MP telephoto cameras. The main camera features an f/1.7 aperture, dual pixel PDAF, OIS and EIS. While the telephoto camera features an f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS, EIS, 2x optical zoom. 4K resolution videos can only shot at 30 frames per second on both devices.
Inside the rear camera module, there is a spectral + flicker sensor which technically doesn’t equate to a camera. At the front, we have an 8MP f/2.0 camera with a 3D TOF camera. Sadly, no 4K videos using the dual front-facing camera, maximum is a 1080p video at 30fps.
Battery and display are the only two things that differentiate these two Pixel phones. The Pixel 4 is powered by a non-removable Li-Po 2,800 mAh battery. While the Pixel 4 XL is powered by a 3,700 mAh battery. They both support an 18W USB Power Delivery charger and also Qi-wireless charging.
Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL Specs
- Announced: October 2019
- Status: Expected: October 21, 2019
- Dimension: 147.1 x 68.8 x 8.2 mm (Pixel 4), 160.4 x 75.1 x 8.2 mm (Pixel 4 XL)
- Weight: 162g (Pixel 4), 193g (Pixel 4 XL)
- Build: Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass 5), aluminum frame
- SIM: Nano-SIM card & eSIM
- Screen Display: OLED Smooth Display¹ (up to 90 Hz)
- Screen Size: 5.7″-FHD+ flexible OLED at 444 ppi (Pixel 4) & 6.3″ (Pixel 4 XL)-QHD+ flexible OLED at 537 ppi
- Resolution: 1080 x 2280 (Pixel 4), 1440 x 3040 (Pixel 4 XL)
- Aspect Ratio: 19:9 aspect ratio
- Display Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Notch: No
- Touchscreen: Yes
- Operating System: Android 10
- Chipset: Snapdragon 855
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4×1.78 GHz Kryo 485)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- RAM: 6GB
- Built-in Storage Capacity: 64GB, 128GB
- Card Slot: No
- Camera Type: Dual
- Camera Sensor: 12MP + 16MP
- Camera Features: Auto-HDR, panorama, PDAF, OIS, EIS
- Video Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected] (gyro-EIS)
- LED Flash: Dual-LED flash,
- Camera Type: Dual
- Camera Sensor(s): 8MP + 3D TOF
- Camera Features: Auto-HDR
- Video Resolution: [email protected]
- LED Flash: –
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
- FM Radio: No
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
- NFC: Yes
- Technology: GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE
- 4G Network Bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- 3G Network Bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 2G Network Bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (5CA) Cat18 1200/150 Mbps
- EDGE: Yes
- GPRS: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- Speaker Location: Front
- Sound Enhancement Features: Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Audio Jack Type: No
- Battery Capacity: 2,800 mAh (Pixel 4), 3,7000 mAh (Pixel 4 XL)
- Wireless Charging: Yes, Qi-wireless charging
- Fast Charging: 18W fast charging
- Colour Options: Clearly White, Just Black, Oh So Orange
- Sensors: Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, Active Edge, Ambient light sensor, Gyrometer, Magnetometer
Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL Price
The Pixel 4 (64GB) is priced at $799 in the US, £669 in the UK, €749 in Europe and AU$1,049. Google Pixel 4 will cost around N274,000 in Nigeria
While the 128GB option goes for $899/£769/€849/AU$1,199.
For the Pixel 4 XL, you can get the 64GB option at $899/£829/€899/AU$1,279. And the 128GB option for $999/£929/€999/AU$1,429.