Get to know how to hide Facebook messages today. It is advisable to hide your messages on Facebook if you’re concerned of your privacy, especially if you’ve prying eyes around you. Facebook understands the need for private conversation which is why they made it possible for you to hide your messages. This also applies to their messaging platform – Facebook Messenger.
In order to hide your messages on either Facebook or Messenger, they are procedures you’ll need which we will be discussing below. There are three ways one can hide their messages on Facebook. You can either visit the Facebook website or Facebook mobile app.
How To Hide Facebook Messages on Website
Here, we’ll be showing how you can hide, unhide and even delete your Facebook messages directly from their website. Just follow the steps below;
- Go to the Facebook official website and log in to your account.
- On the left-hand side of your screen is a list, click on Messages/Messenger. Alternatively, you can click on the Message icon at the top right corner of your screen. This will open a drop-down menu, then select “See All”. Note that if you’ve set up the Messenger, it will show “See All in Messenger” instead.
- From the list, select “Conversation” to open the full chat history.
- Select the message you want to hide and click on the three horizontal dots at the bottom right of your screen.
- Now click on “Hide” from the pop-up list. It will move the entire chat history to a hidden folder that is accessible only by you.
Note that whenever the contact whose conversation you’ve hidden contacts you, the hidden or archived messages will reappear in your inbox. After conversating with the contact, you’ll need to redo the above steps again to hide the messages. To gain access to the hidden messages before the contact message you, click on the Cog Wheel icon located above the contact on the left side of your screen. Click on “Hidden Chats” and all the archived messages will reappear.
You can delete a specific message with a contact directly from the main page or delete entire chat history. To delete a specific message, click on the “message icon” on the right side of your screen and select the message you want to delete. Click on the “…” icon and select “Remove” from the pop-up menu. To delete entire chat history, click the Cog Wheel icon on the top-right corner of the message window. Select “Delete conversation” from the pop-up menu. Note that deleting a message or conversation on your end will not delete it on the recipient’s end.
How To Hide Facebook Messages on Mobile App
Here, we’ll be showing how you can hide your messages on Messenger (Facebook’s messaging platform) for both Android and iOS users.
For Android users;
- Open the Messenger app and press-hold the chat you want to hide.
- A pop-up menu will appear, from which you’ll tap on the “Archive option”. This will move the chat to a hidden folder that can only be accessed by you.
For iOS users;
- Open the Messenger app and tap on the Lightning icon to pull up your messages.
- Select the conversation you want to hide.
- Swipe left your screen to display a list of options for the conversation.
- Tap on the three parallel line icon from the options provided.
- Tap on “Hide” from the pop-up menu. This will instantly send the conversation to a hidden folder accessible only by you.
Once you archive your messages, you won’t be able to access them anymore via the mobile app. You’ll need to visit the website either with your smartphone or computer. This is all we have for you on how to hide Facebook messages. Let us know of any question in the comment section below.