Learn how to play YouTube Video in the background on Android and iOS easily. YouTube is the most visited search engine platform in the world in terms of video. There’s a probability that everything you’re looking for already has a video dedicated to it on YouTube. You can also find helpful tutorials, TV shows, and even the latest music videos.
However, you might be extremely busy doing other things on your device and you still want to watch a YouTube video as well. This isn’t about split-screen or anything like that, after reading this article you’ll be able to close the YouTube app and the video from YouTube will still be playing. Without further ado, this is how to play YouTube Video in the background on Android and iOS.
How to play YouTube Video in the Background
1. YouTube Premium (Android, iOS)
Who still uses YouTube Red? YouTube Premium is the new cool but it doesn’t come cheap. This lets you close the app and still listen to videos playing in the background from YouTube. You also get access to exclusive videos downloads YouTube videos as well. It comes with ad-free access to YouTube Music. It costs $12 a month, or $18 for a family subscription of up to six members.
2. Playing Videos with the Opera Mini browser (iOS)
Yes, iPhone users can play YouTube in the background on iOS without jailbreaking it. Just follow the steps below and watch videos in the background.
- Open the Opera Mini app
- Go to the YouTube site.
- Open the video you want to watch.
- Click on the red O in the lower right-hand corner, then go to Settings > User Agent and select Desktop.
- Press Done in the upper right-hand corner when you’re done
- Go ahead and Play your desired video while in desktop mode and then close the browser to go back to your home screen.
- You can Pause and Play the video from YouTube by accessing your Control Center.
3. Playing Videos with Firefox and Chrome (Android)
This is strictly for Android users, you need to have Chrome or Firefox already installed. Then, open Firefox or Chrome as you would normally and go to the YouTube website. Follow the steps below.
- Select the video you want to play in the background.
- Click on the three dots in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Select “Request Desktop Site”. On Chrome Desktop Site must be ticked before this can work
- Start playing the video, and press the Home button to close your browser.
- You can pull down the notifications bar to Pause or Play. (Don’t close the screen before pressing the Home button)
4. Picture-in-picture mode in Android 8.0 Oreo
If your device is running on the latest Android 8.0 Oreo operating system. Then you don’t need any app to play YouTube in the background. The operating system supports “picture-in-picture mode“, which automatically pops up a miniature viewing window if you navigate away from YouTube. You can drag the video to anywhere you like on the screen.
5. Playing videos with Awesome Pop-up Video (Android)
If your device is not running on Oreo and you don’t like the browsers above, don’t worry there’s another way for you. Simply download Awesome Pop-up Video, an app that will help you play your chosen video in a pop-up window so you can do other things while the video is playing. You can also drag the video around your screen to your preferred spot.
This is how to play YouTube Video in the background on Android and iOS. We hope this helped you? Let us know in the comments below.