Huawei’s Honor has just added a new smartphone to its Honor 8 Lineup, this time it is a budget device known as Huawei Honor 8S. The new device is rocking a 5.71-inch display with a little bit of notch.
Inside the device is where the MediaTek Helio A22 SoC resides with 2GB or 3GB of RAM and 32GB or 64GB of storage. Unfortunately, there is no fingerprint sensor here and only two cameras split evenly between the back and the front. Let’s find out more about the Huawei Honor 8S.
Huawei Honor 8S Key Specs
- 5.71-inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 720 x 1520 Pixels
- Android 9.0 Pie, 2GB/3GB Of RAM\
- MediaTek Hello A22, Quad-core 2.0GHz
- 32GB/64GB built-in storage
- 13MP rear camera and 5MP selfie camera
- 3,020mAh non-removable battery
Honor 8S Design And Display
The Huawei Honor 8S has a modern but subtle design, nothing too fancy. At the front is the 5.71-inch HD+ IPS LCD display with a 19:9 aspect ratio and of course, a water drop notch in which the front facing camera is placed in. It also has a chin down below the display with the Honor name written on it.
The back of device looks pretty scanty with just one camera and a LED flash – no fingerprint sensor here. It weighs 146grams, measures 8.5mm in thickness and has three colour options to choose from which include Blue, Gold and Black. It has a single SIM and dual SIM variant, both of which come with a dedicated MicroSD card slot for more storage.
Huawei Honor 8S Camera Review
The rear facing camera is a single 13MP sensor with an f/1.8 aperture and PDAF. It also has an LED flash for those low light shots, HDR for good dynamic range and Panorama for capturing those wide angle photos. Videos can be shot in 1080p quality at 30fps. Sitting comfortably in the notch on top of the display is the single 5MP camera used for selfies.
Hardware and Software
Honor went with MediaTek for the Huawei Honor 8S. The device has the MediaTek Helio A22 SoC on the inside which has a quad-core processor clocked at 2.0GHz alongside a PowerVR GE8320 GPU. This is connected to the 2GB or 3GB of RAM for multitasking of apps and 32GB or 64GB of internal storage respectively. It also comes with a dedicated MicroSD card slot that can accommodate up to 512GB of additional storage. Huawei Honor 8S runs a more optimised Version of EMUI which is called EMUI 9.0 Lite for low end devices like this. Thankfully, it is still based on the latest Android 9.0 Pie.
Battery & Network Connectivity
Honor 8S has a pretty decent 3,020mAh battery tucked inside of it with no word on fast charging. However, there is 4G LTE connectivity and Bluetooth 5.0. Other Features of this device includes WiFi, WiFi hotspot, WiFi direct, GPS, FM radio, a 3.5mm jack and a microUSB port through which charging and file transfer are done.
Huawei Honor 8S Price and Availability
Honor 8S was launched in Russia where it is already available for sale for RUB8,490 which is approximately $130. Hopefully, it makes it to other markets soon.
Huawei Honor 8S Full Specifications
- Dimension: 147.1 x 70.8 x 8.5 mm
- Material: Plastic
- Weight: 146g
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 5.71-inch
- Screen Resolution: 19:9, 720 x 1520 pixels, 295ppi
- Multi-touch: Yes
Software and performance
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie, EMUI 9.0 Lite
- Chipset: MediaTek Helio A22, Quad-core 2.0GHz
- RAM: 2GB/3GB RAM
- Internal Storage: 32GB/64GB
- Card Slot: Yes, up to 512GB (Dedicated slot)
- Primary: 13MP with f/1.8 – LED flash, HDR, Panorama
- Secondary: 5MP
Network and Connectivity
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, WiFi direct, hotspot
- Network 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100 MHz
- 4G: Yes\
- Bluetooth: Yes
- USB: Yes, microUSB
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio Jack: Yes
- Fingerprint Sensor: N/A
- NFC: N/A
- GPS: Yes
- Sensors: Gravity, Proximity and Light Sensor
- Capacity: 3,020mAh Removable
- Type: Li-Ion
- Fast Charging: N/A
- OTG Support: Yes
Price and Availability
Recommended Retail Price: $130