After series of leaks and rumours, Meizu has finally released its 2019 flagship smartphone – Meizu 16s – as an upgrade an successor to last year Meizu 16. The new Meizu 16s packs a Snapdragon 855 SoC with either 6GB or 8GB of RAM. It has a 6.2-inch FHD+ AMOLED Panel with very slim top bezel and chin, just like its predecessor.
It also has a moderate dual camera setup, a 3,600mAh battery capacity with a 24W mCharge and runs Flyme 7.3 based on Android 9.0 Pie. Let’s see what else the Meizu 16s has to offer.
Meizu 16s Plus Key Specs
- 6.2-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 1080 x 2232 Pixels
- Android 9.0 Pie, 6GB/8GB Of RAM
- Snapdragon 855, Octa-core 2.84GHz
- 128GB/256GB built-in storage
- 48MP rear camera and 20MP selfie camera
- 3,600mAh non-removable battery
Meizu 16s Design And Display
Meizu 16s 6.2-inch FHD+ AMOLED display with an 18:9 aspect ratio, leaving just barely enough bezel at the top for what Meizu calls a new generation world’s smallest front lens. Giving the very small amount of bezel at the top, it’s still mind-blowing how Meizu managed to fit a camera up there.
The chin is also very slim, about the same size as the top bezel which gives the device a clean look. There is a fingerprint sensor underneath the display for biometric Authentications. The back of the device doesn’t look like a Flagship device thanks to the moderate dual-camera setup and an LED flash. The device weighs just 165grams measures 7.6mm and has three colour options; Carbon Black, Pearl White and Phantom Blue. No MicroSD card slot here for storage expansion just the dual SIM card slots.
Meizu 16s Camera Review
Meizu 16s has only 3 cameras in total which kinda new given that some other flagships have up to 6. Two of the Cameras on the Meizu 16s are at the back of the device while one h as been carefully placed in the slim top bezel. The front facing camera is a 20MP shooter with an f/2.2 aperture, HDR and the ability to shoot 1080p videos at 30fps.
At the back is a combination of a main 48MP camera with an f/1.7, PDAF and OIS paired with a secondary 20MP telephoto camera with an f/2.6 and PDAF. Other features of the rear camera include a six-LED dual-tone flash to help with Super night scene, Auto-HDR, Panorama, AI scene recognition, AI beauty, Portrait bokeh mode and ArcSoft algorithm.
Hardware and Software
Inside the Meizu 16s is no other than the Snapdragon 855 chipset based on the new and improved 7nm architecture with an octa-core processor clocked at 2.8GHz alongside an Adreno 640 GPU for gaming. It has either 6GB or 8GB of RAM. The 6GB RAM configuration comes with only 128GB of storage while the 8GB RAM configuration has either 128GB or 256GB of storage. There is no MicroSD card slot on any of them so no additional storage. As expected, it runs Meizu’s own Flyme UI 7.3 on top of the latest Android version – Android 9.0 Pie.
Battery & Network Connectivity
A 3,600mAh gives the Meizu 16s all the juices it needs and it comes equipped with a 24W mCharge fast charging Technology through the USB Type-C port. There is no 5G here but there is 4G LTE connectivity, Dual-band WiFi, WiFi direct, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth, GPS and NFC. No 3.5mm jack too so you’ll need a dongle.
Meizu 16s Price and Availability
Meizu 16s has a starting price of $475 for the 6GB/128GB, $520 for the 8GB/128GB and $595 for the biggest configuration of 8GB/256GB. You can pre-order the device right now or wait for the official sale scheduled for April 28.
Meizu 16s Full Specifications
- Dimension: 151.9 x 73.4 x 7.6mm
- Material: Glass
- Weight: 165g
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: AMOLED Capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 6.2-inch
- Screen Resolution: 19:9, 1080 x 2232 pixels, 400ppi
- Multi-touch: Yes
Software and performance
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie, Flyme 7.3
- Chipset: Snapdragon 855, Octa-Core 2.84GHz
- RAM: 6GB/8GB RAM
- Internal Storage: 128GB/256GB
- Card Slot: No
- Primary: 48MP + 20MP with f/1.7 + f/2.6 – six-LED dual tone flash
- Features: Auto-HDR, Panorama, PDAF, OIS
- Front camera: 20MP with f/2.2 – HDR
Network and Connectivity
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, WiFi direct, hotspot
- Network 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100 MHz
- 4G: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- USB: Yes, Type-C
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio Jack: Yes
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes (under-display)
- NFC: Yes
- GPS: Yes
- Sensors: Gravity, Proximity and Light Sensor
- Capacity: 3,600mAh Removable
- Type: Li-Po
- Fast Charging: 24W (mCharge)
- OTG Support: Yes
Price and Availability
- Recommended Retail Price: $475 – $595
- Availability: Coming Soon