On this page, you learn about how to obtain your Nigerian Digital National ID card via the NIMC mobile app. The NIMC (National Identity Management Commission) has made it possible to obtain your ID card online. This is a welcome move for the government agency that has been struggling with distributing ID cards to every registered citizen.
What is Digital National ID card?
A National Electronic Identity Card (e-ID card) is a chip-based card with multiple functions. As mentioned earlier, the card is a token given upon successful enrollment or registration into the National Identity System.
This means you will need to have registered with the NIMC before a digital National ID can be issued.
How can I be eligible for Nigerian Digital National ID Card?
One can be eligible for the e-ID card when you have attained the age of 16 and above.
It is important to note that while the National Identification Number (NIN) which is assignable to all Nigerians and Legal Residents without any age restrictions, the National e-ID Card can only be issued to resident Nigerians aged 16 and above registered into the National Identity System.
What can I use the Nigerian e-ID Card for ?
Functions of the New National e-ID Card
The e-ID card has provisions for 13 applets out of which five (5) is activated at the point of
collecting the card.
The five (5) active applets are:
- Electronic Identity Information (e-ID)
- EMV Payment
- Verification – Match-on-Card
- Security – Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (ePKI)
- Travel – International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
The remaining eight (8) applets will be implemented in subsequent phases. These are:
- e-Health Application
- e-Pension Application
- e-Voting Application
- e-Taxation Application
- e-Drivers’ License Application
- e-Transport Application
- e-SIM Application
- e-Insurance Application
Step by Step Guide to obtain your National ID Card on the NIMC mobile app
It is now very easy to obtain your National ID card, all you have to do is follow the step by step guide listed below;
- First things first are to download the NIMC mobile app. If you’re an Android user, go to Google play store and enter “NIMC mobile app”. While iOS users can get the mobile on Apple’s app store
- After downloading the NIMC mobile app, open it and enter your NIN number with your mobile phone number. Your National Identity Number (NIN) is the 11-digit number in your National Identity slip. You should use the phone number registered in your National Identity slip.
- Before clicking “next” at the top right corner, cross-check to ensure there is no mistake(s).
- Carefully read the Attestation and click on the “I Agree” to continue. That is if you are comfortable with the attestation.
- Enter your preferred four-digit PIN twice, then click on “Finish”.
- Now on the NIMC mobile app dashboard, you’ll see the “Show My ID” option, click on it.
- Once the system displays your ID card, that means it is ready for download. And you can proceed to do just that.
As you can see from this how to obtain your Nigerian National ID card via the NIMC mobile app, you need the National Identity Number. If you’ve not registered or applied with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), you won’t have the NIN therefore not eligible to receive the National ID card. According to Kayode Adegoke, the Head of Corporate Commission of the NIMC, registration/enrollment is free of charge. All you’ve to do is visit a local government office nearest and make an enquiry about it.