Samsung Galaxy A40s isn’t actually a new smartphone, it’s just basically the Samsung Galaxy M30 but for the Chinese market. The Samsung Galaxy A40s sports a 6.4-inch FHD+ Super-AMOLED display a notch at the top. It uses Samsung’s Exynos 7904 SoC with 4GB or 6GB of RAM and 64GB or 128GB of storage respectively. There is also a triple camera setup and a 5,000mAh battery that brings the device to life with a 15W fast charging. Let’s find out more.
Samsung Galaxy A40s Specs
- 6.4-inch Super-AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 1080 x 2340 Pixels
- Android 8.1 Oreo, 4GB/6GB Of RAM
- Exynos 7904, Octa-core 2.0GHz
- 64GB/128GB built-in storage
- 13MP + 5MP + 5MP rear camera and 16MP selfie camera
- 5,000mAh non-removable battery
Samsung Galaxy A40s Design And Display
Samsung Galaxy A40s features a big 6.4-inch FHD+ Super-AMOLED display with a notch cutout at the top that houses the front-facing camera, otherwise known as the “Infinity-U display” by Samsung. As usual, the chin sits below the display.
Turning over to the back exposes the triple camera setup, LED Flash and the fingerprint sensor. Overall the device weighs just 174grams and measures 8.5mm in thickness which is amazing given the massive battery on the inside. It also has a dual SIM slot along with a MicroSD card slot for storage expansion so you don’t have to choose between a second SIM or a microSD card. Colour options available here are just Blue and Black.
Samsung Galaxy A40s Camera Review
Samsung Galaxy A40s is equipped with a total of four cameras; A triple camera setup at the back and one up front for selfies. The ones at the back include a main 13MP shooter with an f/1.9 aperture and PDAF, a secondary 5MP ultrawide sensor with an f/2.2 aperture and lastly, a 5MP depth sensor with an f/2.2 aperture. Other features of the rear camera include an LED flash, HDR and Panorama. It can also shoot both 4k and 1080p videos at 30fps while the single 16MP front-facing shooter located in the notch with an f/2.0 aperture and HDR can also shoot 1080p videos at 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Inside the Samsung Galaxy A40s is Samsung’s Very own Exynos 7904 SoC which has an octa-core processor with a clocking speed of up to 1.8GHz alongside a Mali-G71 MP2 GPU for gaming and graphics. It comes in two configurations; 4GB of RAM with 64GB of inbuilt storage or 6GB of RAM and 128GB of inbuilt storage. Both configurations have a microSD card slot through which storage space can be expanded further, up to 512GB. It is running Samsung’s Experience UI over the Android 8.1 Oreo Operating System. Hopefully, it gets Android 9.0 Pie with Samsung’s new Skin; One UI.
Battery & Network Connectivity
The 5,000mAh inside this device is perhaps one of the device highlights. There is also a 15W fast battery charging through its USB Type-C port. 4G LTE, WiFi, WiFi hotspot, WiFi direct, Bluetooth, GPS and a 3.5mm jack are all present. There is also Dolby Atmos for a more better audio experience.
Samsung Galaxy A40s Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy A40s will have a price tag of $200 when it finally goes on sale. As at the time of writing this, there has been an official date from Samsung but since the price is out, it shouldn’t long before it starts hitting the shelves.
Samsung Galaxy A40s Full Specifications
- Dimension: 159 x 75.1 x 8.5 mm
- Material: Plastic
- Weight: 174g
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Super-AMOLED Capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 6.4-inch
- Screen Resolution: 19:9, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 394ppi
- Multi-touch: Yes
Software and performance
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo, Samsung Experience UI
- Chipset: Exynos 7904, Octa-Core 1.8GHz
- RAM: 4GB/6GB RAM
- Internal Storage: 64GB/128GB
- Card Slot: Yes, up to 512GB (dedicated slot)
- Primary: 13MP + 5MP + 5MP with f/1.9 + f/2.2 + f/2.2- LED flash, PDAF, HDR, Panorama
- Secondary: 16MP – HDR
Network and Connectivity
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, WiFi direct, hotspot
- Network 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100 MHz
- 4G: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- USB: Yes, Type-C
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio Jack: Yes
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes (rear-mounted)
- NFC: N/A
- GPS: Yes
- Sensors: Gravity, Proximity and Light Sensor
- Capacity: 5,000mAh Removable
- Type: Li-Po
- Fast Charging: Yes, 15W
- OTG Support: Yes
Price and Availability
Recommended Retail Price: $200
Availability: Coming Soon