Samsung surprised everyone at their event with the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G; a maxed-out version of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus for those power users. Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G isn’t just an improvement over the Plus, it is actually a totally different smartphone given the specs and features. However, it does still share a few similarities with its siblings.
It still has the same Snapdragon 865 or Exynos 990 on the inside depending on your region, quad-camera setup and runs Android 10 out of the box with One UI slapped on top. However, screen size, as well as the battery, got slightly bigger, it has a new set of cameras and RAM as well as Storage literally doubled. Let’s dig in.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Key Specs
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Key Specs
- 2 Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Design And Display
- 3 Camera Review
- 4 Hardware and Software
- 5 Battery and Connectivity
- 6 Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Price and Availability
- 7 Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Full Specifications
- 6.9-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X capacitive touchscreen, 1440 x 3200 pixels
- Android 10, 12GB/16GB Of RAM
- Snapdragon 865, Octa-core 2.84GHz – Exynos 990, Octa-core 2.73GHz
- 128GB/256GB/512GB built-in storage
- 108MP + 48MP + 12MP + 0.3MP TOF 3D camera and a 40MP selfie camera
- 5,000mAh non-removable battery
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Design And Display
The design of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G looks similar to the other two Samsung Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus devices. However, there are some minor differences. For a start, the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G has a bigger display, 6.9-inch to be exact. This display is what Samsung calls “Super AMOLED 2X” which also has a QHD+ resolution, 511ppi and a 20:9 aspect ratio.
This display resolution does go down to FHD+ (1080p) when you up the refresh rate to 120Hz. Taking the resolution up to QHD+ (1440p) will automatically bring the refresh rate down to 60Hz. Also, it has a 240Hz response rate, supports HDR10+ and has an always-on display.
It has both its back and front covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 with aluminium frame on the sides just like it’s other siblings. The rear of the device has only a square-shaped camera bump houses the quad-camera setup and the LED. The fingerprint sensor, which is ultrasonic by the way, is located underneath the display.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G comes in just two colours, cosmic grey and cosmic black. Overall, the phone itself, with the big battery on the inside, weighs 186grams and measures 7.8mm in thickness. It is also water and dust resistant, up to 1.5m for 30mins.
At the back of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus lies a quad-camera setup comprising of an impressive 108MP main camera with an f/1.8 aperture, PDAF and OIS. A 48MP periscope camera with an f/3.6 aperture PDAF, OIS and 10x hybrid optical zoom. A 12MP ultrawide camera with an f/2.2 aperture, AutoFocus and Super Steady Video. Lastly, there is an 0.3MP Time of flight camera for depth sensing in portrait shots.
The quad rear camera setup here is equipped with an LED flash, auto-HDR, Panorama and can shoot 8K videos at 30fps, 4k videos at 30 or 60fps and 1080p videos at 30,60 or 240fps. It also supports HDR10+, dual video recording, stereo sound recording, gyro-EIS and OIS as well.
The front-facing camera, on the other hand, is a single 40MP sensor with an f/2.2 aperture and PDAF, equipped with auto-HDR, dual-video recording and can shoot 4k videos at 30/60fps while 1080p video recording caps out at 30fps.
Hardware and Software
Depending on your region, your variant of the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G may come with a different Chipset. There are two variants; one with a Snapdragon 865 sold in the US and another with the Exynos 990 for other regions.
The Snapdragon 865 SoC comes with an octa-core processor clocked at 2.84GHz paired with an Adreno 650 GPU while the Exynos 990 SoC also comes with an octa-core processor but clocked at 2.73GHz paired with a Mali-G77 MP11 GPU.
Regardless of the SoC, both variants come with either 12GB or 16GB of RAM. The one with 12GB of RAM comes with either 128GB or 256GB of internal storage while the one with 16GB of RAM comes with 512GB of internal storage, all of which are UFS 3.0. There is also a dedicated microSD card slot on all Variants just in case you want to increase the storage space
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G runs Samsung’s own One UI 2 out of the box which is based on the latest Android operating system version; Android 10. This device also comes with the 5G version as there is no 4G only version – That’s what Samsung Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus are there for.
Battery and Connectivity
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G has a 5,000mAh battery capacity keeping the light on which comes with an impressive 45W fast battery charging. According to Samsung, this can fill up the 5,000mAh battery in just 74mins.
Charging is done through it’s USB Type-C port which also supports UBS Power Delivery 3.0. This device also has a 15W wireless charging as well as a 9W reverse wireless charging, mostly meant for smartwatches and earbuds.
The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G obviously has 5G but asides that, it also has 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, dual-band WiFi, WiFi hotspot, WiFi Direct, NFC, FM Radio and GPS. No 3.5mm jack here.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Price and Availability
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G costs about $1,399 to $1,599 depending on the configuration you’re opting for. In Nigeria, the Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G will set you back N499,000-N520,000
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G Full Specifications
- Dimension: 166.9 x 76 x 8.8 mm
- Material: front/glass (Both Corning gorilla glass 6), aluminium frame
- Weight: 222grams
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM and/or eSIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: Dynamic AMOLED 2X Capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 6.9-inch
- Screen Resolution: 20:9, 1440 x 3200 pixels, 511ppi
- Multi-touch: Yes
- Operating System: Android 10, One UI 2
- Chipset: Snapdragon 865, Octa-core 2.84GHz – Exynos 990, Octa-core 2.73
- RAM: 12GB/16GB RAM
- Internal Storage: 128GB/256GB/512GB – UFS 3.0
- Card Slot: Yes (Shared SIM slot)
- Rear Camera: 108MP + 48MP + 12MP + 0.3MP – LED flash, dual pixel PDAF, OIS, auto-HDR, Panorama
- Front Camera: 40MP – auto-HDR, dual video call
Network and Connectivity
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, hotspot
- Network 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100 MHz
- 4G: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- USB: Yes, Type-C
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio Jack: Yes
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes (under-display) ultrasonic.
- NFC: Yes
- GPS: Yes
- Sensors: Gravity, accelerometer, gyro, proximity and light Sensor
- Capacity: 5,000mAh Non-removable
- Type: Li-Po
- Fast Charging: Yes, 45W, Power Delivery 3.0, 15W fast wireless charging, 9W reverse wireless charging
- OTG Support: Yes