It’s no longer news that Twitter has been banned in Nigeria, hence many people are searching for ways to bypass the ban to access the micro blogging site. Nigeria is a country of about 200 million people and about 43 million Nigerians currently use Twitter to get latest news and updates.
Since the ban was effected a week ago, a lot of Nigeria has resolved to other means of accessing the app. For your information, Nigeria is not the only country where Twitter has been banned, Twitter is also banned in China, Iran, North Korea, and Turkmenistan. So whenever you are traveling to any of these countries, and you are faced with the reality of the restrictions at work or home, you can use any of these methods below to access Twitter.
Access Twitter using VPN
One of the easiest ways to access blocked sites or apps is through a VPN. There are a couple of them and we have listed some of the best you can use in our previous post especially the free ones. But bear in mind there are some risks involved; for example, in Nigeria, the government has threatened to prosecute anyone still using the app after its ban.
How to access Twitter with a VPN
- Firstly decide the best VPN you need
- You can then go ahead to download it on your mobile or desktop
- You can decide to sign up if you will be going for the paid version especially for desktop
- Once you’ve done the above steps, you are almost good to go
- Launch the VPN and select your preferred location – It’s advisable you choose a server in a different country if you are facing a state-wide ban
- Then go ahead to click on the connection to change your visible IP address to make it appear as if you’re browsing elsewhere, whether it’s outside of the building, or in another country altogether.
- Finally, launch the Twitter app or website to continue tweeting
Other ways of accessing Twitter
If you are in Nigeria, and you have access to Private WIFI whether at home or in the office, you can still access Twitter without the use of a VPN. Many people have reported that they can still access Twitter on their WIFI networks except for people using MTN, GLO, 9mobile, and Airtel.
Also, we previously wrote on how you can access Twitter by activating PROXY on your Twitter app, you can go to the post and try that as well.