Shortly after the Redmi Note 7 was unveiled by Xiaomi’s Sub-brand, they followed up to a budget-oriented Redmi 7 which is more of a toned down version of the Note 7.
For the Nigerian market, both devices were launched in Nigeria today. The Xiaomi Redmi 7 comes with a Snapdragon 623 SoC, 6.26-inch HD+ notched display, 2GB or 3GB of RAM with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB of internal storage. It also has a 4,000mAh battery capacity with a 10W fast battery charging and runs the latest Android 9.0 Pie with MIUI skin. Let’s find out more.
Xiaomi Redmi 7 Key Specs
- 6.26-inch IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 720 x 1520 Pixels
- Android 9.0 Pie, 2GB/3GB/4GB Of RAM
- Snapdragon 632, Octa-core 1.8GHz
- 32GB/64GB built-in storage
- 12MP + 2MP rear camera and 8MP selfie camera
- 4,000mAh non-removable battery
Xiaomi Redmi 7 Design And Display
Xiaomi Redmi 7 has a 6.26-inch HD+ display with a notch that houses the front-facing camera and a chin down below. The side bezels are also slightly thicker than usual. The IPS LCD display is covered with a Corning Gorilla Glass 5 for screen protection.
At the back of the device lies the dual rear camera setup with an LED flash and of course, a fingerprint sensor for biometric verifications. The device weighs 180grams, measures 8.5mm in thickness and comes in three colour options; Lunar Red, Eclipse Black and Comet Blue. It has a dual SIM card slot with a dedicated MicroSD card slot for additional storage.
Xiaomi Redmi 7 Camera Review
Carefully tucked in the notch is a single 8MP camera with an f/2.0 aperture and HDR. It can also shoot 1080p videos at 30fps. Turning over to the back reveals the dual camera setup comprising of a main 12MP camera with an f/2.2 aperture and PDAF alongside a secondary 2MP depth sensor camera. It also has an LED flash, HDR, Panorama and can shoot 1080p videos at 30fps or 60fps.
Hardware and Software
The Redmi 7 is rocking the Snapdragon 632 SoC from Qualcomm. The Chipset has an Octa-core processor clocked at 1.8GHz paired with an Adreno 506 GPU for games and graphics. It has either 2GB or 3GB of RAM which comes with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB of storage respectively.
There is also a China exclusive configuration with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. All configurations come with a dedicated MicroSD card slot for storage expansion. Redmi 7 runs MIUI 9 based on Android 9.0 Pie. Hopefully, it will get an update to the latest Xiaomi Android Skin – MIUI 10.
Battery & Network Connectivity
Powering the Redmi 7 is a 4,000mAh battery capacity with support for a 10W fast battery charging. It also has 4G LTE, WiFi, WiFi direct, WiFi hotspot, Bluetooth, GPS, FM radio and infrared Port. Charging as well as file transfer is done through the microUSB port with support for USB On The Go.
Xiaomi Redmi 7 Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Redmi 7 costs N42,000 Naira for the 2GB/16GB configuration, N47,500 Naira for the 3GB/32GB configuration and N53,500 Naira for the 3GB/64GB configuration. It will be available on Jumia starting from April 29 for the smallest configuration. The two bigger versions will come to Slot and Pointek respectively starting May 6.
Xiaomi Redmi 7 Full Specifications
- Dimension: 158.7 x 75.6 x 8.5mm
- Material: Plastic
- Weight: 180g
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Type: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 6.26-inch
- Screen Resolution: 19:9, 720 x 1520 pixels, 269ppi
- Multi-touch: Yes
Software and performance
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie, MIUI 9
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 632, Octa-core 1.8GHz
- RAM: 2GB/3GB/4GB RAM
- Internal Storage: 16GB/32GB/64GB
- Card Slot: Yes, up to 512GB (dedicated slot)
- Primary: 12MP + 2MP with f/2.2 – LED flash, HDR, Panorama, PDAF
- Secondary: 8MP with f/2.0 – HDR
Network and Connectivity
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, WiFi direct, hotspot
- Network 2G: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G: 2100 MHz
- 4G: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes
- USB: Yes, microUSB
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Audio Jack: Yes
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes (rear-mounted)
- NFC: N/A
- GPS: Yes
- Sensors: Gravity, Proximity and Light Sensor
- Capacity: 4,000mAh Removable
- Type: Li-Po
- Fast Charging: Yes, 10W (5V/2A)
- OTG Support: Yes
Price and Availability
- Recommended Retail Price: N47,500 – N54,000
- Availability: Coming Soon