The Redmi Note 9 and Note 9s were launched as part of the Note 9 series, which also includes the Redmi Note 9 Pro. They come as the successors to the Redmi Note 8 Series. The Redmi Note 9s is regarded as the global variant of the Note 9 Pro which was announced in India as the Note 9 Pro Max. I know it’s pretty confusing, but as a Xiaomi fan, you should be used to it by now lol.
Anyways, in this article, we’ll be reviewing both the Redmi Note 9 and Note 9s. If you’re interested in the Redmi Note 9 Pro we have a separate article for that, so check it out.
Redmi Note 9 and Note 9s
- 6.53″ (Note 9), 6.67″ (Note 9s)
- Android 10 (MIUI 11)
- Helio G85 (Note 9), Snapdragon 720G (Note 9s)
- 3/64GB & 4/128GB (Note 9), 4/64GB & 6/128GB (Note 9s)
- 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 5MP(Note 9s)/2MP(Note 9) main camera.
- 16MP (Note 9s), 13MP (Note 9) selfie camera
- 5,020 mAh battery capacity
- 18W fast charging
The design of the Redmi Note 9 and Note 9s is somewhat identical or rather similar. It is symmetrical with a stunning aesthetic. The fingerprint reader is at the back of the Redmi Note 9 but on the side of the Redmi Note 9s. Also, the punch-hole selfie camera is located separately in the display of the phones. It is at the top middle for the Note 9s and at the top left for the Note 9.
They both have a splash proof coating. In terms of weight and dimensions, the Note 9s weighs 209 g and measures 165.8 x 76.7 x 8.8 mm. Whereas, Note 9 weighs 199 g and measures 162.3 x 77.2 x 8.9 mm. Body colours options available for the Note 9 are Polar White, Forest Green and Midnight Grey. If you’re interested in the Note 9s, you get to pick from Glacier White, Aurora Blue and Interstellar Grey.
Both phones sport IPS LCD punch-hole display which features 1080p resolution and has 450 nits brightness. The screen size is however different from the Note 9s featuring the bigger one measured at 6.67-inch while that of the Note 9 measures 6.53-inch. Protecting both displays is the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 technology.
Under the hood of the Note 9s, we have the Snapdragon 720G chipset which features an Octa-core 2.3GHz processor and Adreno 618 GPU. The chipset is one of the powerful in the 700 series family. For Note 9, it features a MediaTek Helio G85 chipset with an Octa-core 2.0GHz processor and Mali-G52 MC2 GPU. On paper, the Redmi Note 9s is the more powerful.
In terms of memory configuration, Note 9 has a 3GB/64GB model and 4GB/128GB. While the Note 9s has 4GB/64GB and 6GB/128GB model. Both Redmi phones run on Xiaomi’s MIUI 11 skin based on Android 10.
The two Redmi smartphones sports a 48MP AI Quad camera setup but aren’t fully the same. They both have the same 48MP f/1.8 main lens, an 8MP f/2.2 wide-angle lens with 119° FoV and a 2MP f/2.4 depth lens. The macro lens is what differentiates them here. The Redmi Note 9 features a 2MP f/2.4 macro lens while the Note 9S features a 5MP f/2.4 macro lens. Also, the Note 9s is capable of recording 4K videos at 30fps while the Note 9 is can’t record 4K videos.
In the selfies department, the Note 9s sports a 16MP f/2.5 wide-angle front-facing camera. While Note 9 features a 13MP f/2.3 front-facing camera with no wide-angle capability.
Battery capacity is the same on the two Redmi smartphones – 5,020 mAh. They also support an 18W fast wired charging technology. The key difference here is the 9W reverse wired charging support featured on the Redmi Note 9.
Redmi Note 9 and Note 9s Price in Nigeria
The Redmi Note 9s starting price is around N78,000 for the 4/64GB model and around N88,000 for the 6/128GB model. While for the Redmi Note 9, it should start around N75,000.
Redmi Note 9 and Note 9s Complete Specs
- Announced: April 2020
- Status: May 2020
Design [ Build Factor], Display and Colour Options
- Dimension: Height- 162.3 (Note 9), 165.8 (Note 9s) * Width- 77.2 (Note 9), 76.7 (Note 9s) * Thickness- 8.8 (Note 9), 8.9 (Note 9s).
- Weight: – 199g (Note 9), 209g (Note 9s)
- Build Quality: Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), glass back (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic frame
- Screen Display Type: IPS LCD
- Screen Size: 6.53″ (Note 9), 6.67″ (Note 9s)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 (Note 9), 1080 x 2400 (Note 9s)
- Aspect Ratio: 20:9 (Note 9), 19.5:9 (Note 9s)
- Display Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Notch: N/A
- Multi-touch screen: Yes
- Colour Options: Forest Green, Midnight Grey, Polar White (Note 9), Aurora Blue, Glacier White, Interstellar Gray (Note 9s)
Operating System and Memory
- Operating System: Android 10 (MIUI 11)
- Chipset: Helio G85 (Note 9), Snapdragon 720G (Note 9s)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A75 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex-A55) – Note 9, Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver) – Note 9s
- GPU: Mali-G52 MC2 (Note 9), Adreno 618 (Note 9s)
- RAM: 3/4GB (Note 9), 4/6GB (Note 9s)
- Built-in Storage Capacity: 64/128GB
- Card Slot: Yes
Rear and Front Camera Rating
- Rear Camera Sensor: 48MP + 8MP + 2MP + 5MP(Note 9s)/2MP(Note 9)
- Selfie Camera Sensor: 16MP (Note 9s), 13MP (Note 9)
- Camera Features: Night mode, Cinematic portraits, Smart ultra-wide angle mode, Beautify Steady, Portrait mode, Panorama mode, Photo timer, Face recognition, HDR, Ultra wide-angle edge distortion correction, Custom watermark, AI watermark, AI scene detection.
- Video Recording: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS (Note 9s), [email protected] (Note 9)
Wireless Network Bands and Connectivity Options
- Technology: GSM / HSPA / LTE
- 5G Network Bands: N/A
- 4G Network Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41
- 3G Network Bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
- 2G Network Bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A
- SIM Type: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- USB: 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- FM Radio: FM radio
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Yes (market/region dependent) – Note 9
Sound Quality and Multimedia Support
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Speaker Location: Bottom
- Sound Enhancement Features: Yes
- Audio Jack Type: Yes, 3.5mm audio jack
- Video Support Formats: H.264 (Baseline / Main / High profile), MPEG4 (Simple profile / ASP) and other video formats
- Audio Support formats: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC +, MP3, AMR – NB and WB, APE, WAV
- Battery Capacity: Non-removable Li-Po 5,020 mAh
- Wireless Charging: N/A
- Fast Charging: 18W
- Rear-mounted (Note 9), Side-mounted (Note 9s) Fingerprint Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Ambient Light Sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Electronic Compass
Disclaimer: The Specs listing of the above device has been painstakingly filled to ensure accurate specifications. However, we cannot guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct. Feel free to contact us for any miss information.