What do you know about YouTube restricted mode? If you care to learn more about it, then we suggest you continue reading this piece. Restricted mode is kind of like the parental control tool on YouTube. Restricted Mode is an optional setting you can use on YouTube. This feature can help screen out potentially mature content you or others using your devices may prefer not to view. The mode prevents you from seeing sensitive or disturbing videos on the platform and works both on the website and the mobile application. A proxy website may help you get around a network block if that’s the reason why your YouTube is in restricted mode, for example, school computers or parental-controlled.
However, if the proxy website you’re using is blocked too, then it won’t work. You may be wondering how do certain YouTube videos end being blocked while you’re in restricted mode? This is because of the YouTube algorithm. The algorithm works by utilizing the factors and signals such as community flagging and age restrictions to label certain content as inappropriate thereby making it unviewable in the restricted mode.
How to Turn Off Restricted Mode on YouTube via Desktop
Below is how you can turn off restricted mode on the YouTube desktop version;
- Go to YouTube’s official website www.youtube.com using your default browser, either by incognito mode or regular mode.
- Sign in to your YouTube account if you haven’t already or create a new YouTube account if necessary.
- You can sign in at the top-right corner of the YouTube main page.
- Once you’re logged in, you’ll see an icon in the top-right corner. Click on the icon which will trigger a drop-down menu.
- Go to the bottom of this drop-down menu and you’ll see “Restricted Mode: On”. Click on it and another menu will appear.
- In the menu, toggle the switch to disable restricted mode. The page will refresh, automatically resetting YouTube’s cache.
How to Turn Off Restricted Mode on YouTube via Mobile
Below is how you can turn off restricted mode on the YouTube mobile version;
- Open the YouTube mobile app on your device and log in to your account. To do this, navigate to the person-shaped icon located at the upper right corner of your screen, enter your credentials, and sign in.
- Once you’re logged in, go back to the same location where the person-shaped icon was. Now, instead of clicking on that icon, you’ll see your YouTube account photo (if you’ve signed in).
- Select Settings from the menu that appears. In the Settings display, you’ll see the Restricted Mode option with a switch next to it. Flip or toggle the switch so that the restricted mode is disabled. When it is disabled, the restricted mode switch will turn to a grey colour.
By now you should know how to turn off restricted mode on YouTube. If for some reason, the restricted mode won’t turn off, it is likely because your network provider has blocked this option. If that’s the case, you’ll need to use a VPN service. Alternatively, you can use proxy websites to access restricted YouTube videos. These websites use proxy search, enter www.youtube.com on their search bar. Select your preferred proxy location and edit the search properties, if you want or need to. Press “enter” to run the search afterward.
There are multiple ways you can use to get around YouTube’s restricted mode. Some ways or methods are more stressful than others. Either way, the time spent on getting around a restricted YouTube video will be worth it in the end when you get access to the content. Have you ever enabled restricted mode on YouTube before? Did we talk about your method or way? If not, you’re free to share how you did it with the community by leaving it in the comment section below.